Villa Canestri-Schiavi is a timeless historic estate that has preserved its original character throughout the ages. The historical complex known as "Villa Canestri-Schiavi" is located in Poggio (Lega Torre), via Brugnola 25, in the northern plain of Forlì, along the road to Ravenna. The urban planning designation of the area takes into account the qualities of Villa Canestri Schiavi. This villa is situated in the Forlì plain, at the northern edge of the province, near the ancient church of Saints Giacomo and Cristoforo, documented since the 12th century, with which it shares a significant historical connection. The earliest historical evidence of the "villa Podii et Ayturani," dating back to 1110-1120, and the proximity to other village churches like S. Martino in Barisano, suggest the likely presence and continuity of organized rural settlements in this area since the late ancient period and throughout the High Middle Ages. The origin of Villa Canestri is uncertain; tradition places it in the late Renaissance, but its current morphology dates back to the late 18th century. Nineteenth-century maps reveal essentially the same structure of the building and the park.
The name "Villa Canestri-Schiavi" is relatively recent and is the result of changes in ownership. In 1821, the noble Canestri family replaced the Bonucci family, and later, through subsequent alliances, they became linked to the Schiavi family, including Senator Alessandro Schiavi.
The villa extends notably from east to west, with a passageway. The park surrounding the villa on two sides is rich in ancient autochthonal trees, which have likely remained unchanged over the years, serving as a natural and complementary backdrop to the villa. The entrance of the villa follows a longitudinal axis and defines the symmetric layout of the rooms. This classical arrangement is reflected on the exterior in a regular composition with a central section rising over two levels, flanked by service areas on a single level. The whole is characterized by a sober elegance and a lack of elaborate ornamentation, except for the doorways emphasized by semicircular arches and the openings with central elements that extend to French doors.
More information about the place:
The villa is a part of the Italian Historic Residences Association (ADSI: https://www.associazionedimorestoricheitaliane.it/)