The One-Man Band Kit
This is my standard kit when I’m filming alone. It has served me well in all kinds of documentary situations the past few years, and is also a great basic set-up for low-budget narrative films, image films and other commercial work.
If you’ve got someone to help you out, you can rent my boom pole and blimp separately to get better location sound. I’ve got other helpful add-ons like two soft boxes for simple interview lighting set-ups.
The kit comes with a Lowepro Fastpack BP 250 AW III camera backpack and tripod bag for transporting all the gear listed below. The backpack has a side opening for a 15” laptop and a tablet and a rain cover stored in a pouch on the bottom.
When fully-packed, the backpack weighs 7.2 kg and the tripod bag 4.5 kg. There’s still room in the backpack for your own laptop, tablet, hard drives, chargers and cables.
Most items in this kit can also be rented separately. Click on the item name to be taken to the separate listing.
- Panasonic GH5 MFT camera with three batteries and charger
- Panasonic Leica 12-60 Zoom lens ⌀62 with MFT mount
- Panasonic Leica 14-140mm zoom lens ⌀62 with MFT mount
- Voigtländer 17.5 mm prime (f 0.95, ⌀58) with MFT mount - great high-speed, slightly wide angle manual lens
- Olympus 45mm f 1.8, ⌀37 prime with MFT mount - great portrait lens
- Vario ND filters: ⌀37, ⌀58, ⌀62
- 2 x SanDisk Extreme SDXC cards (150MB/s)
- King Joy VT-2500 Video tripod with fluid head.
- Panasonic DMW-XLR1E XLR-Mikrofonadapter with 2 XLR inputs.
- Sennheiser MKE600 Richtmikro + short XLR cable
- Sennheiser AVX MKE2 Wireless Mic set
- Sennheiser hot shoe mic mount
- XLR to 3.5mm adapter cable (optional if you want to plug the MKE600 directly into the camera)
- Fotodiox SP LED 312 Bi-Color Video Headlight, 3200-5600k Color Temperature Rating, 10-100% Power Dimmer Dial, DC7.4- 14.8 V power plug, two Sony NP Batteries, magnetic 'snap-on' diffusion panel, swivel mount,
- light stand (fits in tripod bag)